Bookmark and Share

Monday, September 18, 2006

Last doctor visit during treatment

After the treatment today I saw the doctor for the last time as a current treatment patient. He will see me again in 4 weeks to check on how the outer burn heals. He asked how my hearing was (still ok), and how my mouth was (rotten), and checked the skin that is most involved in the treatment (left side of my head). My skin has "broken down" along my scar lines in front of and behind my left ear. When they say 'broken down', it includes blisters, bleeding spots, and areas that just ooze. Oh yeah, I would be real fun at a party right now! Friday and today were the first times that the mask hurt to wear it - the swelling on my left side is that great (radiation has played havoc with the remaining lymph nodes on that side of my face, so there are fewer places for lymph to drain). Tomorrow is the last day to wear the mask, though - I have received official notice that my treatments are over tomorrow. The nurse wants me to come in later this week to check on my skin, though - they may have to wrap me up in a dressing if this breakdown continues. I should get over this hardest part within two weeks, though - that was good news.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have made it this far. You have a great attitude! Just think, now you can pick your favorite mask destruction technique (or even techniques). Just imagine putting the mask on the HyVee parking lot and zooming the car over it again and again shouting "Take that" at the top of your lungs.

 
Who links to my website?