Bookmark and Share

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Stupid Cancer Blog.: Pot Smoking, Lazy Ass, Young Invincibles

As a mom of one (nearly two) "young invincible", the term used by insurance companies for 20-somethings that don't have insurance coverage, I found the following post very interesting.

The Stupid Cancer Blog.: Pot Smoking, Lazy Ass, Young Invincibles

Growing up, health insurance wasn't ever talked about. My mom was divorced when I was in the 3rd grade - no coverage, since she didn't take state aid, and my dad only covered his stepkids. I didn't have health coverage until I was married to a US Army sergeant at the age of 23, and that wasn't really insurance ('health insurance', I now know, equals paperwork, and asking "mother may I be healed and whole again", and playing games that you don't know all the rules to and are therefore hard to win). When we lived in Germany in the 80's, I heard much grumblings from my young German friends who complained about the high cost of insurance/health care coverage (not sure how it is categorized over there) taken out of each and every paycheck, since they weren't currently using the service. But man, when something went wrong and they did need health care coverage, there were few worries (well, except for the waiting lists, that is).

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?