Bookmark and Share

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma in the news

I check Google News for ACC about once every week or two - and today found this item:

Peter Tork, of the Monkees, has been diagnosed with ACC, according to this story on Radar Online http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/03/former-monkee-peter-tork-has-cancer.php.

I then saw that Cyndi posted it on her blog also: http://cyndisadayinalifewithlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-was-quite-surprised-this-evening-when.html

UPDATE Mar 8, 2009: here is a short-lived link to Google News that should take you to all of the entries discussing Peter Tork: http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&ncl=dfbZEHdlsjYZtwMctvrV2kRG1jrRM. Dang, I hate to see ANYONE join us on this rare cancer journey, but might this extra coverage get us some additional notice in the scientific arena? Maybe some young researcher will see this bit of news, and decide that their life's goal will be to search for a cure for this? Only time will tell -th

The other item in the news during the past month is this story from University of California-San Diego:
Cancer Cluster at UCSD http://www.sdcitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/cancer_cluster_at_ucsd/7774/
They are investigating the building that houses the Literature Department, since it seems to have a higher rate of cancer diagnoses than expected. I wonder what the cancer rate is in the building I work in at my university? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is a 'sick' building if we had a high rate - but with the equipment being around since the 1970's (in our building, anyway), a person might jump there. I figure we are an aging population of college staff, and probably more prone to developing cancer. But hey, I am just a cheeky librarian, not an epidemiologist. If anyone wants to weigh in on the topic, please comment and I will post it after reviewing.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Teri--I was just thinking about my own personal "cancer cluster" this morning. Which is my family--father, brother, both grandfathers. That's a lot.

I grew up in a timber town--pulp mills, and our water was surface water. Any thoughts? Both my grandfathers lived in Seattle and Tacoma, which have had their own nasty pollutants over the years.

 
Who links to my website?