Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

FDA Warns Individuals and Firms to Stop Selling Fake Cancer "Cures"

A news release from the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01852.html .
They have sent letters to 23 U.S. companies and 2 foreign individuals to stop selling fake cancer cures on the web. They also link to 125 fake 'cures' that consumers should avoid at this site: http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/fakecancercures.htm .

I know now what it desperate feels like, and wanting to do ANYTHING to make the cancer go away. I usually joke that if someone had told me 2 years ago that I could cure it by dancing naked in the moonlight, I would have done it. But before you send money for something, or take advice without talking with your health care professional first, please contact a library to find out if the information you are looking at is valid. Believe me, if someone is successful in 'curing' cancer with an alternate treatment, I will be shouting it from the rooftops. Until that day, buyer beware. That stuff you see offered on the 'Net could do much more harm to you than the cancer or traditional treatment can do.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Jeez, about time! But better late than never, I guess.

Australia does a much better job of shutting down quacks than we do in the U.S.

This is an important post, Teri, thanks for writing it. I need to put something on my blog as well.

Jeanne
www.assertivepatient.com

Anonymous said...

So true. When you're desperate, you'll grab at any straw. And it's hard sometimes to know what might be valid and what isn't.

This is really good information. Thanks

Teresa Hartman said...

Thanks, Barb and Jeanne. Yep, I only can hope that folks will contact a professional to find out what is valid before they purchase anything.

 
Who links to my website?