Bookmark and Share

Thursday, September 04, 2008

More news about tomorrow's Stand Up 2 Cancer

You might remember my earlier post from August 3 (and amended on August 17) about the Stand Up 2 Cancer fundraiser set for tomorrow night on CBS, NBC, and ABC.
Here is a link to stories about the event that are currently on Google News:

http://news.google.com/?ned=us&ncl=1242010411&hl=en&topic=m

I doubt that I will be watching - not sure that show is anything I want to see. There is a part of me that figures if they donated the cost of an hour of each of the network times, the cost of an hour of each of the celebrities, and toss in the cost of an hour of hospitalization for each of the current cancer survivors, they wouldn't have had to have the show at all - just send the money to the non-profit arm that is going to disburse it, and get on with living. I do hope that they raise lots of money that goes for direct research (how about direct cost reimbursement??) for folks that have cancer. And I hope that none of the donations come from cancer patients - we have paid enough in time, money, blood and pain.
If you think I am two-faced about fund-raising, I probably am. I will promote and champion all day long the individuals who have banded together to raise money to fight cancer, most of the time working miracles while suffering great personal loss. I will send out the message when one of my fellow cancer sufferers needs money to put food on their table and anti-cancer drugs in their system. But I don't see the networks losing all that much, or needing anything - they are getting marketing time thanks to my pain, and I don't like it. I also don't like the whole ribbon (pink or any other color) campaigns. I am very consistent on that one - didn't take part in the whole yellow ribbon thingy when my husband was in the Gulf War (back in 1990-91), nor again when he was called up to serve in Iraq (was it 2004? he didn't get past Ft. Sill, thank goodness). There is nothing behind the piece of cloth/plastic to signify that anything has changed just because a ribbon has been pinned on. Do we need ribbons or colors (pink soup cans and cracker boxes, folks - c'mon, really?) to say that the wearer is 'aware', or is offering their support? Do we need an hour of tv time to raise money that most cancer patients (both in and out of treatment) will probably never ever see? Please forgive my rhetorical questions - the professor in me might be coming out a bit too much.

7 comments:

Dee said...

Hi Teri,
I agree - I don't know that I will watch this show either. One of my colleagues mentioned getting a team together for Race for the Cure in Portland and then our local breast cancer support person told me about that as well as a fashion show called Puttin' on the Pink. I have no desire to participate in either of those events nor to go to the ACS's Relay for Life. I am not quite sure why - I've heard that it's inspiring to be around so many people, but, you know? When I have free time, I'd rather be hanging out with my son and the rest of my family or playing ball or cards with my buddies - living a more or less normal life. I think I spend way too much time thinking about cancer and doing treatments and I don't want to do that in my leisure time - I want to have fun with my family and friends!

Well, that's my two cents.

And, you know, it's not just all the one-hour time commitments, but also all the time and effort it took to organize the event and then advertise it. Imagine how many cancer patients' meds and rent and food and bills could've been paid with all of that effort?

Wendy S. Harpham, MD said...

I try to keep an open mind about anything that raises the public's awareness about the number of people affected by cancer, the underfunding and low enrollment of research, the expense of cancer therapies (even for patients with insurance)and the need for better answers.

Stars have impact. I applaud those who use their celebrity to help those in need.

There are no incurable diseases; only diseases for which scientists are working toward cures.

With hope, Wendy

Teresa Hartman said...

Thank you so much, Dr. Harpham, for once again cutting through the crap and offering a clearer view of what is the important point.

I really like your last sentence:

"There are no incurable diseases; only diseases for which scientists are working toward cures."

As some of my friends say, "from your mouth to G*d's ear." Hope I can be around to see it come true.

Kerry said...

I watched simply because I feel now there will be some changes. In the years I have had lymphoma many things have changed.
I to try really hard to stay open minded, because so many want change and are willing to get out there and fight for it. The stigmas on cancer are quickly changing. Sometimes it takes the rich and famous to get out there and help us change things.I applaud it as well.

Yesterday I had my yearly physical with my oncologist. As he said there is so much happening in the cancer world,its hard to keep up. His one wish was that health care would consider the patients more. He wants more answers just as us the patients do.

So Wendy I agree with that statement:
"There are no incurable diseases; only diseases for which scientists are working toward cures."

I keep thinking along this journey to that, as long as they have things to throw at me to help me to get to the next hurdle. Then I am in the ball game.

Hope moves me forward.Watching last night after spending the afternoon on the oncology floor. Brought me back to some really positive thinking.

Teresa Hartman said...

I am so glad it brought you back to a positive place! That makes the whole effort worthwhile - if it helped folks to get to a better place, then it has my vote. For some reason, it is hitting me hard and not bringing me to a positive place, so much that I am avoiding the news today in case I accidentally catch highlights of the event - something I need to work on, no doubt. (I also avoided CNN for most of 1990-1991. Who says I am not disciplined?) Here's to all of us finding what we need when we need it, no matter who produces it.

Kerry said...

Teresa,
I think what hits me on some of these big things is that the rarer cancers get no notice. If it helps to me that's extremely frustrating for me at times. Although I have lymphoma (nhl) there are not many with parotid involement and I know of one other man with it. That's it.
I went to one forum for parotid tumors I am the only lymphoma there. I hang around just in case someone comes in with it.
I know its possible others are out there. Your out there though a different cancer I can relate to the frustrations of some of what your feeling.

I am not into big fund raising things but I am in to making it better for those with cancer so they can get meds ,copays and help with everyday things. That does make a difference.

I just some how think that many helped me now its my turn as a pay it forward when I am up to it.
I love the time with my family but my family also feels very blessed and had enjoyed supporting me in things to support others with my cancer.

So I don't know its a different take I guess and we all have to do whats comfortable for us.

Rebecca said...

there's a great bit in the movie "Friends with Money" where one character says of a charity ball 'why don't they just skip the ball and give the money spent on dresses & dinner to charity?' (paraphrased of course. The writers in CA said much better.)

As for ribbons, I have ribbon fatigue myself. Check out this video (warning, some bawdy humor & political content)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmsOIjzQ1V8

 
Who links to my website?