Bookmark and Share

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Teri's Heroes


No one knows how much time they have to let folks know how important they have been in one's life, so I figure I need to start recognizing them right now. I have already done so for some of my regular readers (and you know who you are) by giving tiger-eye stars as a thank you for their great support of my struggles, or of their support of others struggling on this earth. I have given most of them in person, which means a huge number of folks are still star-less. The Medical Library Association is coming up, and I will be meeting a lot of you in person - be prepared! For others that don't travel in my elite library-related circles, I have taken to mailing the stars with explanatory notes. I chose tiger-eye in the hopes that that is what my radiated mandible now looks like (yep, I am still waiting for those super powers from the huge dose of radiation, dagnabit!); I chose stars for the obvious reason that people that matter shine bright like the stars at night, and the world would be a darker place without their great deeds.
One of my heroes this weekend is Roger Ebert, who appeared at his Overlooked Film Festival after 10 months of dealing with cancer treatment http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah5036.shtml. His treatment and recovery are not over, and he is missing part of his jaw and has a trach, yet he overcame everything and appeared. They say having oral/head/neck cancer is bad because it can drastically alter our appearance - thank you, Mr. Ebert, for showing me and your fellow oral/head/neck cancer fighters how to take on the changes and go on living what is important in our lives!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I didn't know that about Roger Ebert. I think I'll try to contact him and see if he wants to participate in my Cancer Movie reviews!

http://www.assertivepatient.com/cancer_movies/index.html


Jeanne

 
Who links to my website?