Bookmark and Share

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chasing protein

Thanks to Nutiva, today I tried Chia seeds for the first time, mixing them into a dish of raw cabbage with hemp and sunflower seeds. I had heard that Chia seeds, in addition to making hairy pets, are actually a nutritious food. Evidently they are big with raw-food folks, since most of the recipes I have located do not involve cooking at all. Since I no longer deal with slimy-textured foods very well, I figure I can eat the chia gel (made by soaking some seeds in water for a short time) only by mixing with crunchy things. Tonight's dinner had about 34 grams of protein in it, so if I can handle mixing the seeds in my food, I can go a long way towards the 1 gram of protein per 2 pounds of body weight that's recommended. If anyone has been trying these seeds in food, please let me know your favorite recipes.
By the way, if you are interested in using these or other ingredients in your recipes, you can now use Google to search recipes and ingredients: http://www.google.com/landing/recipes/.

1 comment:

whidavi said...

Wow...sounds...delicious? I'll try to find a recipe for Chia Pie.

 
Who links to my website?