Bookmark and Share

Thursday, December 21, 2006

That other thing we are certain of - taxes

I read on a discussion list that 200 Americans a year are diagnosed with ACC - a number I haven't been able to confirm yet, but I am working on it. ACC is reported in other countries all over the world - I once read that higher numbers are diagnosed in Europe/UK and Japan than here, again, I haven't been able to confirm that figure. If you are someone like me that 'won' the cancer lottery this year (I would rather have won the cash, thank you!), you may be dealing with high medical bills as you heal. In the USA, the Internal Revenue service offers some help with the bills in the form of a tax deduction if your bills exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html. Using an accountant or tax-filing service would probably offer you the best assistance when filing for this deduction. I don't know if other countries have a similar deduction - checking with your nation's revenue office, such as HM Revenue & Customs in the United Kingdom http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/, would be your first step towards getting answers.
In the meantime, be thinking about how all of us ACC folks could sign up for a single cruise someday, just to get to know each other. Ah, the power and influence we could wield if we got together even once! Invite some cancer researchers along for the ride, and we might end up with a head start on how to cure this 'slow but extremely aggressive' menace.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?